WUFAW’s Youth Activism Program (YAP) recognizes our exceptional Youth who are actively making a difference in their community, either by volunteering for an animal organization, personally rescuing animals, or by being a passionate advocate for animal rights and welfare.
Spring 2021 $500 Award
Congratulations to our Spring 2021 YAP Award Winner, Naomi Kwast
Read her story
We want to encourage the continual compassion and dedication of our young heroes ages 8-16 by awarding one deserving individual $500 to be used to further their mission.
To apply, individuals need to submit a 1-2 minute video describing what you are doing or have done to help animals during the COVID-19 pandemic. The video should also include your motivations and actions.
Applicants for the award must read and follow the guidelines and rules below:
WUFAW Spring 2021 Award Rules & Guidelines
- This award program is open to individuals who are or will be between the ages 8 to 16 by May 31st, 2021.
- Submissions will be accepted no later than May 31st, 2021 by end of day. Applications are submitted through the application form on the WUFAW website.
- Submissions must be from an individual, not a group or organization.
- There is no fee for applying.
- Applicants must be residents of the United States.
- The youth's activities should be ongoing, not single events or arranged just for this award.
- Applicants will submit a link to a 1-2 minute video explaining who they are and how they have been helping animals during the Covid-19 Pandemic.
- The submission should be done by providing a link to their video hosted by an online service such as YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook. The video can be public or unlisted as long as WUFAW is able to view and embed it via the link.
- WUFAW is unable to accept direct video file submissions for the first stage of the process, but will require the original video file from all finalists.
- We will provide instructions to finalists on how to send the video file to WUFAW.
- Applicants can only submit one video. (Multiple videos or videos under one minute or over two minutes will not be considered.)
- The video must be created solely for the purpose of WUFAW's YAP award. It cannot be a video made for other purposes or organizations.
- The parent/guardian of all applicants agree to allow submission materials, the child's likeness, first name and age to be posted on WUFAW’s website, social media pages, and newsletter.
- The applicant’s parent/guardian name and contact information must be included as part of the application, but will not be displayed publicly.
- The parent/guardian of finalists will be contacted by phone or email to confirm eligibility and permission status.
- The parent/guardian of the winner and runner-up must give permission allowing their child’s video and likeness to be used on WUFAW’s social media pages, website, and newsletter.
- To protect the child's privacy, all of our online and social media posts will only use the child's first name and age.
- Submissions must include a parent's full name and contact information, but all identifying data will be non-public and kept confidential.
Voting and Winners
- WUFAW will review all submissions and select the top submissions for public voting.
- Voting will be done on a special page on the WUFAW website.
- WUFAW's decision is final and at the sole discretion of our staff.
- The recipient will have one month after receiving the award to send a follow up essay/photos/video showing us how they used the money.
- The intent of the award is to recognize relatively unknown individuals who are making a positive impact on animals in their local community.
- Celebrity or high-profile children are welcome to make submissions, but WUFAW reserves the right to determine to offer non-monetary recognition for their efforts.
- Finalists are required to send their submission video file to WUFAW within three days of notification of being selected as a finalist.
- These video files will be uploaded to WUFAW's YouTube channel, to be posted on the voting page.and for future use.
- WUFAW is given full rights to display and use these files in future website, social media, and newsletters without restrictions.
- Staff members of WUFAW and their families are not eligible.
- The recipient is NOT required to use the award money directly on animals, but must be used to further their activism in some way. For example, the award can be used to purchase food and beds for animals in need, to buy a tablet or smart phone to make content, or to purchase printing materials and office supplies for their workspace.
- It is the parent/guardian's responsibility to review the video submission for any unwanted personal information being included.